Tax Investigation Service
Gone are the days when a tax investigation was launched by HMRC to check whether the right amount of tax was being paid at the right time. According to HMRC’s current Business Plan, the primary objective now is to maximise revenue and that has changed the tone and approach adopted by Tax Inspectors.
Whether into your business accounts, or your own personal tax affairs, investigations have become more aggressive and time consuming and can take many months, even years to conclude. Aside from the time lost digging out historical information and attending meetings with Tax Inspectors, the financial costs in mounting a defence soon add up.
You might be selected for an investigation because HMRC is targeting a particular geographical area in the UK. You might be selected because you work in a profession or trade which HMRC decides to pursue. Or you might even be selected entirely at random, by the click of a mouse.
Even if the investigation finds nothing wrong, you will have still incurred professional fees which need to be paid and that is where fee protection insurance offers peace of mind.
Our Tax Investigation Service
At PKB Accountants, we have worked with Abbey Tax – the UK’s leading provider of tax investigation services – to provide you with security and peace of mind in the event of a tax investigation.
Our tax investigations package ensures that we will do all of the following for you:
- Handle all meetings and correspondence with the Tax Inspector.
- Negotiate on your behalf to make certain that you pay the right amount of tax.
- Give you complete peace of mind that the professional costs of your defence are covered.
- The tax investigations package ensures that you have an experienced professional from our team on your side when you need them.
That’s why we recommend that all clients subscribe to this service today. Remember, the annual cost for tax investigation protection is a fraction of the typical costs of a defence.
Round-the-clock legal support
When you subscribe to the tax investigations package, you’ll have access to a team of qualified solicitors and barristers for employment law, health and safety matters and commercial issues.
- Free with unlimited calls
- In plain English
- Open 24/7, 365 days a year
Don’t put your business at risk – the law changes constantly and the helpline ensures that you have the right support when you need it most.
Reasons to act now
Do you still need convincing that our tax investigations service is worthwhile?
Here are five more reasons to act now:
- HMRC is determined to deliver more money from compliance activity. It is under intense pressure from both the government and MPs of all parties to pursue all tax which is due under law.
- Over 22bn lines of data are already held by HMRC. That figure is likely to increase rapidly now that tax authorities around the world are starting to share information under the Common Reporting Standard.
- Last year, in excess of 80,000 reports were made to the Tax Evasion Hotline and the number of referrals to HMRC from mortgage lenders broke the 10,000 barrier for the first time. These reports and referrals form part of HMRC’s risk assessment process.
- HMRC can now access all credit and debit card payments to find out the number and value of transactions completed by a specific trader. For example, if a cash based business has declared a turnover of £80,000, with card transactions amounting to £75,000, HMRC will want to know whether £5,000 of cash is an accurate record.
- £3.5bn was generated during the last financial year from HMRC pursuing the 45m people in the tax system who have an income below £150,000 and assets below £1m in the UK. £900m was secured from the UK’s 8,500 wealthiest individuals alone.
The tax investigations package ensures you are represented by PKB Accountants, the firm who knows you.
Marketing & Communications Manager
“Can you afford to pay for any professional fees that could be incurred in the event of you being investigated by HM Revenue & Customs? With our Tax Investigation Service, you won’t receive any unexpected bills.”