Your accountant is there to take a lot of the stress and hard work involved with running a company off your hands. You should feel 100% confident in the ability of the individual or firm you choose, and you should actively see the benefits of using them.
If you’re not happy with your accountant, please don’t be afraid to change. Switching is actually a lot easier than people think. If you decide to use PKB, we offer a seamless and hassle-free transition and we’ll have you up and running in no time.
How do I know if I should change my accountant?
Firstly, it’s a good idea to go with what your instincts are telling you. If something doesn’t feel right or you’re not comfortable, listen to this. There are a number of other signs that indicate you and your accountant aren’t the best fit:
- They’re charging too much. Research other local firms and find out what they’re charging so you can determine whether or not you’re paying too much
- You don’t understand what they’re doing or how they’re doing it. The world of accountancy is full of confusing terminology but your accountant shouldn’t be baffling you with endless jargon. They should be able to explain your accounts to you in a simple, easy-to-understand manner
- You can never get hold of them
- They’re not keeping up-to-date with the latest trends and requirements such as Making Tax Digital
- Your business has outgrown their skillset
- They don’t take the time to understand the needs of your business
- You find yourself regularly correcting their mistakes
Is there a good time to switch accountants?
Even though the process of changing accountants is simple and straightforward, it pays to be strategic about when you do so. Avoid busy times such as the end of your financial year or when your current accountant is already halfway through completing your tax return for example.
Choosing a period of less activity will make the transition much smoother and it also means you have more time to dedicate to the handover.
How do I tell my accountant I don’t want to work with them anymore?
Communication is key here. Be honest with your accountant because as a business, they will appreciate the feedback so they know how to improve their service to other customers. If you’re moving on for a legitimate reason, such as your business has grown and you need more support, thank them for everything they’ve done for you. If possible, it’s always better to leave on good terms.
Why choose PKB?
Our friendly and approachable team work hard all year round to understand your finances and ensure you’re getting the most out of your business. We believe that your accountant should be helping you to grow your business and plan for the future, not just make an appearance once a year when the tax deadline is on the horizon.
Here are some of the great reasons to choose PKB:
- We help businesses of all shapes, sizes, budgets and requirements
- Before committing to anything, we’ll have an initial consultation so you can get to know us, establish if we’re the right fit and you can ask as many questions as you need
- We offer many different services and can help with everything from submitting tax returns and getting through HMRC audits to doing your payroll and bookkeeping for you
- We stay on top of the latest trends and requirements. We offer Xero and online accounting and can help you make the transition to Making Tax Digital
- We’re regulated by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants and have been in business 35+ years so you can be rest assured you’re in safe hands
- Don’t just take our word for it, why not have a read of some of our testimonials and Google reviews?
How do I switch to PKB?
It really couldn’t be easier. Simply drop your existing accountant a courtesy message to let them know you’re leaving (we can even help you with this), and we will do the rest. We will approach your accountant for clearance and request the paperwork we need to get you set up with PKB.